Home of the Generals
Our school is named after George C. Marshall, an Army commander of the 5th Infantry Brigade at the Vancouver Barracks from 1936 to 1938. Marshall became secretary of state under President Harry S. Truman after World War II.
Marshall is the only VPS elementary school to participate regularly in the Fort Vancouver National Trust’s Marshall lecture program. Our students are honored with visits from the dignitaries who deliver the Marshall lecture. These visits impart memorable lessons in civic responsibility, government, stewardship and community service. Past visitors include General Colin Powell, Secretary of State Madeleine Albright, Tom Brokaw and Jonathan Jarvis.
Our mission is to create a safe and caring community in which each student strives for academic excellence, shows respect for others and takes responsibility for his or her own choices.
George C. Marshall Elementary opened its doors in September 1943. The school was located on Mill Plain Boulevard between Morrison and Andresen roads. In the first two years, Marshall operated in double shifts to accommodate the influx of students whose families were drawn to the area by the promise of work in the shipyards and related industries during World War II. By 1950, Marshall was estimated to have 701 students.
Plans were made in 1961 for the second (and present) school, which opened in September 1962.
Other historic moments:
Fall 1992 — Marshall is remodeled to include new classroom wings and a new gymnasium.
2009 — Marshall is among three elementary schools in VPS honored by the state for academic progress over the past three years.
2013 — School begins practicing Advancement Via Individual Determination, or AVID, preparing students for college and careers.
Fall 2015 — Family-Community Resource Center opens to provide basic necessities and connect families with resources.